Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On 28/11/2013 20:14, John Williamson wrote:
On 28/11/2013 20:00, Nightjar wrote:

Only if the base metal is magnetic. Sheffield plate, for example, is a
laminate of copper between silver outer layers.

EPNS doesn't, either.

That reminds me of when my partner first came to Britain. She was
bringing with her a set of solid silver cutlery, which would then have
attracted import duty. The Customs officer, not finding any hallmarks,
asked her if it was German silver, meaning nickel silver. As it was
silver and she was German, bringing it from Germany she truthfully
answered yes. He didn't charge her any duty.

Colin Bignell