Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 2002 Unisaw

On 11/28/2013 12:47 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:02:29 AM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Can I apply lithium grease on the internal parts corresponding to the height/tilt wheels of the saw, or is there something more suitable for this purpose?

Applying a lubricant to the large gears or teeth of the gears? There seems to be some difference of opinions about lubrcating those teeth/gears, similar to lubricating the threads on a wood vise screw.

Some oils or grease tend to collect sawdust, adding to any potential problem for smooth operation. Clean, substance free gears/teeth or threads seems to work just fine, for me, though my saw's angle gear squeaks like hell, when cranking it. I suspect it's the shaft/support that squeaks, not the teeth/gears.

I don't lubricate my gears and sawdust collects on them, anyway, but it's not "stuck" on. It's a lot easier blowing the dust off, with the air hose, if the dust is not stuck on by a lubricant. In my case, sawdust collecting on the gears/teeth is much more pronounced on the saw that is not attached to the DC.

I would suggest you not lubricate the gears. If your experience suggests otherwise, then try lubricating and compare the results.

Sonny

Lube the gears but don't use grease. I use TopCote. I suspect any one
of these would work well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3IDV8E/...N=B00D3 IDV8E