Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On 28/11/2013 19:53, John Williamson wrote:
On 28/11/2013 19:39, ss wrote:
I have an item that is silver but would like to determine if it is solid
(doubtful) or just plated.
From what I can gather solid has a hallmark which this hasnt.
Plated will attract a magnet which this doesnt.
It was not made for public sale so maybe got under the radar in some way.

Any thoughts?

You *could* try working out the specific gravity of the item, if you've
got scales and a liquid measure accurate enough. The problem is that
differing grades of silver have different densities,depending on what's
in the alloy.

Some foreign silver isn't hallmarked, just to add to the confusion. An
expert might take a quick look at it and say where it's from, and what
it's likely to be made of.

Not sure where it was manufactured but was for a british company which
doesnt really help.
I have scales that measure grams but just a normal plastic measuring
jug, however I could probably measure the overflow if I immerse in a jug
thats level with water. I have some syringes that I used for filling ink
into printer carts that are possibly accurate enough.
The item weighs 164 grams.
Should I be able to work something out from the volume displacement?