Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default How to evaluate silver plate v solid silver

On 28/11/2013 19:39, ss wrote:
I have an item that is silver but would like to determine if it is solid
(doubtful) or just plated.

Archimedes solved that problem quite a long time ago.

From what I can gather solid has a hallmark which this hasnt.

Hallmarks have been required in England (later Britain), France and
Switzerland for centuries. However, it is not a universal requirement
and I have a gold watch that only carries the designation 14K, with no
other marks.

Plated will attract a magnet which this doesnt...

Only if the base metal is magnetic. Sheffield plate, for example, is a
laminate of copper between silver outer layers.

Colin Bignell