Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default 2002 Unisaw

Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:47:25 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
I should read the manual too, because I learned some things while I was scanning it. In particular that the blades should be locked before the saw is turned on.

And don't torque the lock knobs (height and angle) really tight. Firm tightening, but not super tight. You'll learn and get the feel for sufficient tightening. With my older '81 saw, the "tightening" of the heigth knob has worn, a bit, probably from over tightening.

Three finger firm tightening, if this defines my experience, reasonably.

Yes, I'm getting the hint with "set screws". Next time my bathroom sink
faucet starts to leak, I'll probably be buying new faucets instead of a
$1 rubber part. And that's at least the 2nd time, I've stripped a set
screw in recent history. I even bought a torque-wrench to help me curb
my neanderthalic-tendencies. And, in the one time I've used it so far
(for a lawn-mower spark plug), it may already have paid for itself.

Can I apply lithium grease on the internal parts corresponding to the
height/tilt wheels of the saw, or is there something more suitable for
this purpose?

Bill

Sonny