Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2002 Unisaw

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:56:11 -0500, Bill

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:33:43 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
I was looking at parts diagram for a 2002 Unisaw. snip
It just takes one other person to makes an auction difficult, and he
was there (he probably thinking the same thing)! We had to go from $500
to $1050 before I convinced this person I was pretty serious about
getting a saw! And that's the dollar amount I payed--$1050+10% +7%
(sales tax), in case anyone is curious. I felt like I didn't want to do
any more saw shopping--and this one was only about 5 miles from home--so
I thought beforehand that it wasn't going to get any easier. I met a
kind person who helped me get the saw home on his trailer--I had talked
with him for 10 or 15 minutes before they got to auctioning the
machinery. While I was collecting parts in a plastic garbage bag that I
brought with me for the occasion, he asked me if I needed any help
moving the saw. And I said yes, please. And he said, where's your truck.
And I said, I don't have a truck. Can we put in in yours?--I said I
live close by and I will be glad to give you $100 to help me. His
trailer featured a hand-powered winch-which was handy pulling it up and
letting it down some improvised ramps. He did a lot of work though,
securing the saw. He got he out of a "tough jam". I thanked him and
tried to hand him $100, buy him a tank or two of gas, etc. but he would
only take $5 for gas. A nice guy who made a real difference, like many
of you folks.

Sounds like a really nice guy. Do you have his name/address? You
might try sending him something for the holidays (something a little
nicer than a fruitcake ;-), with a note thanking him again.

Yes, you don't need to tell me that. Who doesn't like fruitcake?

Everyone likes it so much they pass it on to their friends!

You'll love the saw. Now you need a good miter gauge (the Delta
sucks) and a few Forrest blades. ;-)

I'm glad because I don't have a miter guage. The saw guard, with it's
splitter, and 3 insert plates (in all) were found before the sale.

I find the guard almost useless. If I'm doing nothing but ripping for
a week, I might think about putting it on. I don't like not being
able to see the blade clearly but the dust collector works better with
it on. ;-) I use the knife whenever I'm making through cuts, though.

You'll use the inserts. You'll probably want to buy more, if you do a
lot of dado cuts. Did I mention that Forrest makes a nice dado set?
;-)

I really like my JessEm miter gauge (JessEm makes great stuff). The
Incra 1000HD is really nice, too, though not as solid.

Also got an extra mobile stand out of the deal! What can I buy for it,
Mike M.? : )

Use it for another tool? I don't think you'd get enough for it to
bother selling it.