Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has anyone tried FlexsealŽ?

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:20:14 -0600, wrote:

"FLEXSEALŽ" The commercials make it look like it's the greatest thing,
but is it really worth the rather expensive price? Have you used it?
I'm not one to believe commercials, so I thought I'd ask.....

I have a mobilehome (trailer house), that has some spots on the belly
where the fiberboard has decayed and all that remains is the webbing
which is embedded into it. Thus the insulation is exposed below this
webbing. I'd like to seal it, mostly for mice protection. Originally I
considered just coating it with roofing cement tar, but that would be a
messy job to do overhead. Another thought was to take tubes of silicone
caulk and spread it over these spots with a putty knife. This is still
my "ideal" solution. But I thought about this Flexseal, and might
consider it, but at $13 for a 14oz can, (Walmart) it may cost a bundle
to do. It claims to coat 2 to 12 sq. feet. Which means it will
probably only do 2 or 3 sq. ft. I'd probably need 6 to 10 cans.
Silicone caulk may be a little harder to apply, but it's only $3.50 a
tube at one of the "dollar stores", and probably contains more "product"
per tube. The roofing tar would be the cheapest to use, but it just
seems like a very messy job to do while working overhead and laying on
my back. I'm guessing that I need to coat about 20 sq. feet.

Of course there may be another product I have not considered.....

Comments????

Staple a sheet of tyvek sheating over it. Or glue it on with
construction adhesive. - or both