Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has anyone tried Flexseal®?

"FLEXSEAL®" The commercials make it look like it's the greatest thing,
but is it really worth the rather expensive price? Have you used it?
I'm not one to believe commercials, so I thought I'd ask.....

I have a mobilehome (trailer house), that has some spots on the belly
where the fiberboard has decayed and all that remains is the webbing
which is embedded into it. Thus the insulation is exposed below this
webbing. I'd like to seal it, mostly for mice protection. Originally I
considered just coating it with roofing cement tar, but that would be a
messy job to do overhead. Another thought was to take tubes of silicone
caulk and spread it over these spots with a putty knife. This is still
my "ideal" solution. But I thought about this Flexseal, and might
consider it, but at $13 for a 14oz can, (Walmart) it may cost a bundle
to do. It claims to coat 2 to 12 sq. feet. Which means it will
probably only do 2 or 3 sq. ft. I'd probably need 6 to 10 cans.
Silicone caulk may be a little harder to apply, but it's only $3.50 a
tube at one of the "dollar stores", and probably contains more "product"
per tube. The roofing tar would be the cheapest to use, but it just
seems like a very messy job to do while working overhead and laying on
my back. I'm guessing that I need to coat about 20 sq. feet.

Of course there may be another product I have not considered.....

Comments????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:20:14 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Staple a sheet of tyvek sheating over it. Or glue it on with
construction adhesive. - or both
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, Home Guy, someone has tried it. Not me!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/27/2013 3:20 PM, wrote:
[...]

I don't really know what the substrate is that you are tyring to
patch/conserve/ protect. I would still reccommend this product not
matter what the material. It sticks to virtually anything, it is very
easy to imbed nylon reinforcement screen, and is easy with which to
work. Happy user - no affiliation:

http://www.buyinsulationproductstore...-Mastic/Detail

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Don't know if I used the specific brand but I bought stuff that was
more or less seemingly the same -- aerosol can that sprayed black
rubberyish stuff. I used it to seal my daughters roof vent gaps and
shingles. What I found was that it boiled up a lot as it went down
and while it did fill the gaps after three or four applications
several minutes apart it was somewhat thinner then I had expected.
Overall it worked for my use. What you described sounded like you
would be spraying it UP at the bottom of something. This stuff I used
I think would have had some splash back if I was spraying it up and
something. I've also used Spray on Car Undercoating on cars. You
might consider that, it's a little thicker, at least some brands of it
are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:23:04 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

[...]

I have used car undercoating in a spray can, for cars. That might work.
I never thought of that. The rubbery stuff you sprayed may have been
the stuff that guys spray on their pickup truck beds. That is kind of
rubbery. That may work for my needs too.

To Dan, the material under the trailer is called a "board" on the older
trailers. The newer ones use something like a blue tarp. Mine is the
older type. This material is about 3/16" thick. From what I've been
told, it's some sort of material made from a plastic mesh with a paper
soaked with some sort of tar on both sides. On mine, there are some
places where the only thing that remains is the plastic mesh, so the
insulation above it is exposed between the mesh. This stuff can not be
purchased any longer, and even if it could, it's one continuous piece
under the whole trailer house. I've had to cut a few holes in it to fix
pipes and stuff. In those spots I use gorilla tape and tape it back in
place. Duct tape dont seem to hold. There was a 2 foot hole and no
piece to put back. There I tapes on some aluminum flashing that comes
in a roll, with gorilla tape. But these weak spots are here and there
and to cover them with aluminum would be a pain, and they are too large
to just cover with tape. So, I'm looking for a rubbery material that
will bond to the mesh and form a solid surface again. The main reason
is to keep rodents out, but it also will help seal out moisture and air
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:42:53 -0600, DanG wrote:

I don't really know what the substrate is that you are tyring to
patch/conserve/ protect. I would still reccommend this product not
matter what the material. It sticks to virtually anything, it is very
easy to imbed nylon reinforcement screen, and is easy with which to
work. Happy user - no affiliation:

http://www.buyinsulationproductstore...-Mastic/Detail

I answered what material I am covering in another response to this
thread. I looked at this website. I think I've seen this stuff used on
insulated pipes in commercial buildings. It does look like it may have
potential for my needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Go to a boating supply store and get some West Systems epoxy supplies.
Resin, Hardener and Filler to thicken it up. Other brands are available,
but I've used the West Systems supplies and have always been very satisfied
with the results.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/

Then get some fabric. Lots of choices of weight and width here. Fiberglass
should work, carbon fiber might be overkill.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/reinforcing-fabrics

Mix the epoxy with enough filler that it doesn't drip, impregnate the
existing mesh and fabric, apply it and roll it smooth.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/use-guides/

Do it right, do it once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2013 9:35 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Only Homey would buy the crap shown on TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I used flexseal on a 2" black drain line at home in a hard to get at
location. It took a number of coats but has been fine for a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 20, 2019 at 5:00:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

They just bought $60K worth of it for the brand new $4 bil Oculus at the World
Trade Center. It's skylights are leaking. Another fine govt mess.