Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:14:52 PM UTC-5, John G wrote:
Danny D'Amico brought next idea :

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 08:19:28 -0500, clare wrote:

That is definitely NOT college level electrical engineering. Looks

like a junior college introduction course to me.

I won't go into a discussion of how facts at a junior college are any

different than facts at a high school or university, or even those same

facts at the power company (the references I cited were from industry also),

simply because, I'll lose any argument like that on the net due to the

old adage...

And, I'll stop asking for references that state the currents *don't* go

back to the power company transformers through the ground...

I will simply continue to locate, read, and quote sources that explain the

return path for current, back to the power company's transformers.

The more I read, the more I find that this return path is not

straightforward.

There are local loops, where the math can get complex, so, I'm trying to

unwind this wye-versus-delta thing as we speak ...

Here's a good starter paper on what those ground paths back to the power

supply transformers looks like that I am still reading with great interest:

www.dataforth.com/catalog/pdf/an108.pdf

That's from a company that makes isolation transformers, so, they're not

"junior college" level, right?

Did you READ the Preamble to that paper you are quoting??

The NEC, National Electrical Code(Ref.4) requires the installation of

grounds for safety and does NOT allow load currents in ground lines.

Ther is your proof. The NEC is the Electrical BIBLE :')

--

John G

Doh! Nice find.