Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On 11/25/13 5:33 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Cut a bunch to keep AIOE happy.

Now, that does not prove that the earth is the return path
for the electricity back to the power company, but, it is clearly
a half dozen (or so) references which say what I've always thought
was the case.

That means that the idea isn't so far fetched as it may appear.
Admittedly, most of these references were cut out of the same
mold (probably due to my search terms?), so I welcome someone
who can find a reference that says the earth is *not* the return
path for the HVAC typical power generated in the USA.

Article here http://preview.tinyurl.com/mxd4xb2
talking about power distribution. It was written by a fella with a BSEE
and an MSEE. He spent a bunch of years working in the power industry.
He writes about a possible project in Alaska. Single wire earth
return similar to what the Aussies do.

He says:
A single wire, ground return circuit will require a waiver from the
Alaska legislature or Department of Labor since it does not comply with
the NESC. However, the author does not believe that the single
conductor, earth return circuit should be considered and firmly believes
that a multi-grounded, neutral be considered on all single phase and
three-phase, four-wire circuits.
End quote.

The fact that using the earth return system requires a waiver implies
that it is used very infrequently.