Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

wrote in :

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 03:09:10 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in :

The "neutral" is NEVER bare in North America (except in some parts
of rural Sakatchewan Canada, where single wire earth return IS
actually still in limited use)

Absolute nonsense. You see bare neutrals all over the place in rural areas of the U.S.

with
overhead service.

http://www.southwire.com/products/Tr...erviceDrop.htm

Don't you think it's time you stopped assuming that what is true in your [obviously limited]
experience is true everywhere?

In DISTRIBUTION, yes - but not on the "consumer" side.

Wrong again. Triplex cable (see link above) isn't used for distribution anywhere in the U.S.
that I'm aware of -- it is, however, very commonly used for service drops (from the
transformer to the customer's service mast).

Like I said... don't you think it's time you stopped assuming that what is true in your
obviously limited experience is true everywhere?