Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

Scott Dorsey wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
"dave" wrote in message
m...

The fastest computers on the planet run Linux. It is the most
popular OS on the planet (or soon will be). If there is a task
there is an application for it.

In all seriousness... Is there a Linux DTP even remotely comparable
to Ventura? I ask, because I anticipate doing a series of user
manuals, and they will be done in Ventura.

Is Ventura Publisher still actually made? I haven't heard of that in
years.

It's still available, and there is a good group of die-hard users, like
William and Me. Corel refuses to update it and also refuses to give it up,
but there are a few of us that provide help to each other to maintain its
on-going viability.

I think these days the big kings are Quark (which seems to be on the
way out) and the Adobe Creative Suite. A lot of folks still seem to
want Quark files.

Those programs are not for technical writing or publishing. Even Adobe keeps
FrameMaker alive and well because it is the only surviving alternative to
Ventura for that purpose. For my active clients, I only use FrameMaker
because it has kept abreast of the rather significant changes to the
publishing industry since the last update of Ventura.
--
best regards,

Neil