Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

On 11/26/2013 06:25 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 26/11/2013 13:47, dave wrote:
On 11/25/2013 01:59 PM, John Williamson wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
dave wrote

You'll know Linux is getting popular on the desktop when they start
advertising anti-virus programs for it,as that will mean it's common
enough for the black hats to be interested.

Desktop?

The bit on the desk (Keyboard, monitor, mouse) that most computer users
interact with. Although that's changing with the increase in tablet and
smartphone usage.

I have always kept the box on the floor (earthquake country). It is my
limited observation that the desktop has virtually disappeared in favor
of dumb terminals and powerful servers, in situations where a
traditional architecture is required. I have 3 cases which I use for
computer building. I have a 7300 Dual Core running Puppy Linux 5.7.1
that I use for digital ham radio. It also has a dual boot Mint 15 Xfce,
and a live CD of Andy's Ham Radio Ububtu Remix. It has a way better than
80 smps because it never turns off.

My regular surf machine is my friend's obsolete (for gaming) Asus P5 MB,
fast video, blah blah. That's this one on which I type. I loved
computers until the late 1990s, when they started making us pay for
everything. It was quite the wilderness for a few years, then came Puppy
Linux! I once again enjoy "playing" with computers. No hour long calls
to MSFT demanding they transfer my ancient Authorization to a new
motherboard because the old one "broke". No begging insiders for
employee discounts. Etc.

Fun is the main reason I like Linux,