Posted to rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Default beware of the updates you install

Nil wrote:
On 23 Nov 2013, Les Cargill wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Then it was done to clean up whatever. All I know is that unless I
rebuilt the machine once a year, it would degrade slowly in
performance.

I've owned and taken care of hundreds of Windows systems. That used
to sometimes happen in the bad old days of Windows 95 and earlier.
Not since Windows XP in my experience. If the system slows down, it's
due to some specific problems. Not from general "dirty registry"
problems.

I may or may not be actually talking about "dirty registry" problems.
I have no data to support or deny that.

I know two things:

1) In order to improve performance of a Windows machine, I would to
an annual rebuild.

2) Using Revo Uninstaller and Eusing Registry Cleaner, that "annual"
at least became a longer period - longer than the machine remained
in active service - call it three years.

Leftover registry entries and disk files don't impact performance to
any significant degree unless there are other issues.

What you say is doubtless true; nonetheless...

What I did "worked". That is all I can really say about it; I don't
have an identified cause, and only a partially perceptible
effect. I don't believe it was a placebo effect. If I had to
characterize the result, it was that general ... latency improved - a
lot - after these operations.

I am nobody's Windows admin except my own. I don't "do" Windows
internals; I don't have any professional relationship *with* Windows
other than as a user.

I've managed to find other ways to entertain myself

--
Les Cargill