Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
Jason[_15_] Jason[_15_] is offline

Default beware of the updates you install

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 01:16:27 +0100 "Sjouke Burry"
wrote in article 5291455e$0$6876

On 23.11.13 21:51, Frank Stearns wrote:
writes:

On 22 Nov 2013, wrote in rec.audio.pro:

"Les wrote in message

I used to have to do the annual reinstall to clean up
the registry.

There are far easier ways to clean the registry.

Windows registry rarely if ever needs "cleaning". Unless you have some
specific problem, trying to do so is at best a waste of time and at
worst catastrophically destructive. There is a shady industry that
sells so-called "registry cleaning" software but what they're really
selling is snake oil.

In general, I would tend to agree with you.

However, the entire registry concept has, over the past 20+ years, morphed into
something a little more "grand" than perhaps originally intended. Lazy or
inexperienced programmers tend to put a lot of crap in there from their app that
might arguably be put somewhere else better. (Things like making the reg a place for
stuff that really ought to be in a temp file -- and we know how well apps clean up
after themselves in terms of temp usage.)

So the concept of a reg cleaner might not be bad, but there is indeed a LOT of snake
oil junk floating around out there (and dangerous junk at that -- both malware and
system breaking).

I am curious if anyone has used a reg cleaner that made a positive improvement and
didn't break anything.

Frank
Mobile Audio

Ccleaner.exe.
Used it several times, and it cleanly removes the remnants of
uninstalled software.

+1