Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:33:15 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ayup...aerospace requires 50 millions or half 10ths all the time.

Which is damned hard to do with machines that hold +/- 2 tenths

One might think it is impossible to do with repeatability and assurance.

So - I am curious - what is it that aerospace requires that is 50
"millions"? I worked in that space for a while and I never saw any
tolerances like that - but that does not say much. I believe that even the
space shuttle does not demand tolerances that close - but I really do not
know.

Knowing nothing about aerospace I am willing to hazard a guess. I
presume the space shuttle does not require tolerances anywhere near
MILLIONTHS of an inch but I presume the shuttle's trajectory
calculations would. I imagine that a rounding error would be the
difference between a successful orbit or crashing into Homer Simpson's
house in Springfield.