Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet fired this volley in news:56-
:

Probably not.

_I_ can, with woodworking tools. I built period reproductions of French
Revival decorative furniture for about 20 years.

Except for a table saw, most of it with hand tools, per the authentic
methods. Doing fit-ups to a thousanth is a must if joints were to be
perfect. (and yes, I know about the growth of the wood, but some joints
demand that precision)

So except for when it was not, your work method used authentic methods.
I suppose that means that you used the authentic methods when it
suited you. It really does not matter what tool you use, it is the
result that counts.

No metal fasteners in them, either. Gauche'.

I use metal fasteners for knobs, and hinges and attaching adjustable
feet on furniture that I design and build, that is about it.

I can do dovetails you can't see a gap in by hand, too. Can you? I
doubt it.

Probably not, but with a router absolutely.

Lloyd

While we are bragging,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...7630857421932/

And with the exception of a couple of older pieces I have built all of
these in the last three years and after I converted to Sketchup.
AFWIW all joint details were drawn in Sketchup.