Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 00:09:04 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Things I want to draw...
...wood boards
...aluminum flat bar, square tube, round tube, rod
...holes through materials
...bolts, washers, and nuts
...wheels
In other words, I want to draw things you might make at home.

Is 2-D CAD appropriate for drawing three-dimensional objects, like
boxes? Do they typically allow you to enter a third dimension when
placing an object? I don't mind having limited views, like a front
view and a side view, but most of us work with three-dimensional
objects...

Thanks.

What is Sketchup Pro 2013? Versus Sketchup Make?

If you can visualize the part you want to make, a pencil is all you
need to capture it. The designers of this didn't need no stinkin CAD:
http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20...0Cathedral.htm

If you can't create it in your head then CAD won't help you. It
doesn't recognise your conceptual errors. I've embarrassed a few
engineers by pointing out why I couldn't make what they had drawn.

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/cog_imposs1/devilsfork.gif

jsw