Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:02:11 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com on Thu, 21 Nov
2013 07:53:57 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Swingman fired this volley in
om:

They both have their strong points and, as with any tool, the choice
and use depends upon the job.

'modeling' is a pretty loose term as pertains to Sketchup.

Using Sketchup, I've build full photo-realistic panoramic 'models' of
theme park sets for designing fireworks presentations. I love it for
what it's intended to do. It's simple, quick, and CRUDE. You don't seem
to quite understand what underlies its drawings.

I think that is given away in the name. After all, it is called
"Sketch up" not "Drafting".

As any engineer/designer will tell you - everything starts with a
"sketch", be it a literal "drawing on a paper napkin" to "it will sort
of look like this ..." drawing in a CAD Program. Just show shapes,
relationships and maybe some sizes. What will eventually wind up
plotted on a C size page started as "isometric" shapes quickly
sketched on notepaper, "with circles and arrows and a paragraph ...
describing what each one was..."

tschus
pyotr

True indeed.

--
pyotr filipivich

__
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
- Heinlein

---