Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

"Danny D'Amico"

Dead alarm system troubleshooting advice requested ...
Yesterday, I had been messing with the main breakers, and accidentally
shut the main 200A breaker without turning off the power generator switch;
so the Generac kicked in; and I heard the alarm system in the garage
vehemently complaining with persistent loud beeps.

I immediately reset everything, and I thought it was all ok.

Then, today, the alarm system sounded three loud long beeps, and
went totally dead.

Troubleshooting with my Fluke after removing the alarm system external
wires shows the external ELK-TRG21640 16.5VAC, 45VA power-supply
transformer plugged into an outlet has an open secondary, and when
plugged into an extension cord, there is no voltage from any of the
three screws on the secondary windings:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/1...d64103f6_o.gif

** There must be a fuse inside that unit - wired in series with the 16.5V
secondary.

If I thought it was that simple, I'd just replace the transformer;
but I wondered why the backup battery didn't run the alarm system.

** It's probably worn out .

Testing the 12V 5AH battery out of the alarm system shows it's 13.5
volts DC (no load open circuit voltage), which, at least seems OK

** Open circuit testing a gell cell tells you nothing.

(I don't know how to load it though):

So, two things must be wrong:
1. The ELK AC transformer secondary opened up suddenly
2. Maybe the power supply inside the alarm system box went bad suddenly
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/1...ff0ca903_o.gif

** The voltages on the transformer went high enough to cause a big increase
in current and fuse failure, maybe something inside the alarm box failed
too.

Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

** Get a new tranny and a new battery and try them - the battery first.

.... Phil