Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad atonce?)

Jon Elson wrote:
Danny D'Amico wrote:

If I thought it was that simple, I'd just replace the transformer;
but I wondered why the backup battery didn't run the alarm system.
Testing the 12V 5AH battery out of the alarm system shows it's 13.5
volts DC (no load open circuit voltage), which, at least seems OK
(I don't know how to load it though):
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/1...d9f59f77_o.gif

So, two things must be wrong:
1. The ELK AC transformer secondary opened up suddenly
2. Maybe the power supply inside the alarm system box went bad suddenly
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3751/1...ff0ca903_o.gif

Do you think shutting the breaker without turning off the generator
could have blown the alarm system?

I'm totally guessing here, but I think the transformer may have
blown when you tripped the generator, and the alarm ran on batteries
until they were exhausted. Then, the alarm shut down to prevent
destroying the battery. Although the 13.5 V seems really
high for a 12 V gel cell not being charged. So, there may be
another fault, such as a shorted rectifier in the alarm panel.
That would blow the transformer. But, then the panel should have
run off the battery for at least a while, and in the process
partially discharged the battery. So, it is a bit puzzling.

Jon

Hmm,
If some thing shorted or popped or burned, you can smell it
and see it as well.