Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Edward A. Falk wrote:
In article ,
John Doe wrote:
Leon lcb11211 swbelldotnet wrote:

Your absolutely best bet would be to down load Sketchup Make
2013. Do a Google search it to find it. Free 3D drawing and
countless YouTube videos to watch as tutorials.

The Pro version has "solid modeling tools". Is that something
important the free version doesn't have?

I think it's several hundred dollars for the pro version. Do
you need solid modelling that badly? I know I don't.

I had a chance to get the pro version for free once. I didn't
bother. The free version really did all I needed.

I'm also fond of AutoDesk inventor. It's rather expensive,
though.

Autodesk also has a suite of free products under the "123D" name.
I'll bet their cad program is pretty good.

Currently they let you play with the pro version for 8 hours. If you
need the extras then opt for the pro version. BUT if you dig around you
can also find scripts and add-ons that give you the pro type tools in
the free version.

as an example of some extras
http://sketchup.engineeringtoolbox.com/

--