Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default My air compressor quit working

wrote:
My air compressor quit working. The motor just hums and will not start.
The belt and comporessor unit are free. I can easily spin it by hand,
which means it's not the motor bearings either. The motor is a 120V AC
about 1/2 HP. It has a capacitor on top, so I'm thinking that is a
starting cap. How likely is it that the cap is bad? I guess the only
other problem would be bad windings, but that often causes smoke. I
dont have smoke.

My compressor has the same problem, but the hum blows the overload button.
I can get it to run if I don't put a tool on it, but just put a brass
Quick Connect fitting on the tool end of the hose without a tool
attached. I start the compressor and the air blows out the open fitting.
I can then attach a tool.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY