Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On 11/21/2013 11:21 AM, Richard wrote:
On 11/21/2013 8:13 AM, Leon wrote:
Swingman fired this volley in
:

They both have their strong points and, as with any tool, the choice
and
use depends upon the job.

I defy you to get any precise measurements or 'fits' out of any Sketchup
model.

Define precise, I'm an old AutoCAD user and find that for woodworking
Sketchup is plenty precise.

Vertices don't align, vectors overlap and/or mis-match at ends,
'snap' points randomly 'fly' to other dimensions, textures just 'float'

All of the above are why DesignCAD's unique "gravity snap" feature is so
important. Fine that point easily and accurately.

Some of my work...
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

I really don't have any issues with snapping while using Sketchup unless
the drawing is zoomed out too much and there are several end points that
are closer together than the snap cursor. Simply zoom in and there is
no issue at all.