Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

If this troll wants to discuss complex CAD programs, it should
grow a pair and start its own thread without "simple" in the
subject line...

--

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Subject: CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?
From: "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 07:53:57 -0600

Swingman kac nospam.com fired this volley in
news:E9SdnZLrn8mblhPPnZ2dnUVZ_oWdnZ2d giganews.com:

They both have their strong points and, as with any tool, the choice

and
use depends upon the job.

'modeling' is a pretty loose term as pertains to Sketchup.

Using Sketchup, I've build full photo-realistic panoramic 'models' of
theme park sets for designing fireworks presentations. I love it for
what it's intended to do. It's simple, quick, and CRUDE. You don't seem
to quite understand what underlies its drawings.

I defy you to get any precise measurements or 'fits' out of any Sketchup
model. Vertices don't align, vectors overlap and/or mis-match at ends,
'snap' points randomly 'fly' to other dimensions, textures just 'float'
in the same plane as the surface to which they're applied, and are
transparent from some viewing angles... it just goes on and on. It was
_designed_ to make pretty, "3D-looking" shapes for on-screen
presentations, not for creating detailed items for machining.

Sketchup models can _look_ pretty, but they aren't representations of any
real solids, and cannot be used (even crudely) for creating a part from a
drawing, unless measurements don't matter a whit. Even then, it's a
stone bitch to translate a Sketchup model into something CAM can handle.

I'm saying all this from the perspective of a (past) _heavy_ user of both
Sketchup and several true 3D CADs. It doesn't sound to me like you have
extensive experience with either genre.

LLoyd