Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On 11/21/2013 8:13 AM, Leon wrote:

I defy you to get any precise measurements or 'fits' out of any Sketchup
model.

Define precise, I'm an old AutoCAD user and find that for woodworking
Sketchup is plenty precise.

Vertices don't align, vectors overlap and/or mis-match at ends,
'snap' points randomly 'fly' to other dimensions, textures just 'float'

Until I learned to use Sketchup sufficiently I had that problem too.
What you are describing is not a problem that I have noticed any more.

Can't blame the software for operator ignorance.

Lloyd definitely has a short between the keyboard and chair by
exhibiting his ignorance above of SU's "inference engine", which he has
apparently failed to understand.

The "precision" of SU can be fully realized/appreciated when using Ruby
Scripts, bypassing the inference engine altogether.

But then again, that takes an in-depth understanding of the internal
operation of the program, the ignorance of which makes mistaking opinion
for fact, as the first above.

I'm saying all this from the perspective of a (past) _heavy_ user of both
Sketchup and several true 3D CADs. It doesn't sound to me like you have
extensive experience with either genre.

Nor you.

LOL ... it's been pretty well demonstrated where that "extensive
experience" is lacking.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net