Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My air compressor quit working

On 11/21/2013 4:47 AM, wrote:
My air compressor quit working. The motor just hums and will not start.
The belt and comporessor unit are free. I can easily spin it by hand,
which means it's not the motor bearings either. The motor is a 120V AC
about 1/2 HP. It has a capacitor on top, so I'm thinking that is a
starting cap. How likely is it that the cap is bad? I guess the only
other problem would be bad windings, but that often causes smoke. I
dont have smoke.

Likely a run cap. And, yes, they are known
to go bad.

--
..
Christopher A. Young