Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On 11/20/2013 6:09 PM, John Doe wrote:
Things I want to draw...
...wood boards
...aluminum flat bar, square tube, round tube, rod
...holes through materials
...bolts, washers, and nuts
...wheels
In other words, I want to draw things you might make at home.

Is 2-D CAD appropriate for drawing three-dimensional objects, like
boxes?

No. Unless it will allow ISO, isometric, drawing.

Do they typically allow you to enter a third dimension when
placing an object?

No.

I don't mind having limited views, like a front
view and a side view, but most of us work with three-dimensional
objects...

Thanks.

Your absolutely best bet would be to down load Sketchup Make 2013. Do a
Google search it to find it. Free 3D drawing and countless YouTube
videos to watch as tutorials.

I have been using CAD programs that I have paid for for 27 years and the
last program was AutoCAD. I switched to Sketchup about 6 years ago and
have not looked back.