Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Wifi TRVs

"Jon Connell" wrote in message
On 19/11/2013 06:34, harryagain wrote:
So what's the point of such an expensive device?

Not heating rooms unnecessarily ought to pay back the investment cost.
Same argument as LED lighting, which is also freakin' expensive.

Is there a heat sensor in each room?

Yes.

Money could probably be spent elsewhere to greater benefit.

The only other thing that would have significant impact on my heating
bills would be better insulation. We have brick walls with no cavities and
a roof with unknown levels of insulation (no loft). My current estimates
on retrofitting insulation suggest that it would actually be cheaper to
carry on burning oil!

Well you should be fitting internal or external insulation.
No calculation can be made as the future price of oil is unknown so that is
a foolish remark.
It also depends on how long you intend to stay.
It will add value to the house as the energy efficiency rating will be
raised.
My own house had solid walls. It now has no heating bill after extensive
insulation.