Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi TRVs

On Tuesday 19 November 2013 08:27 Jon Connell wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 18/11/2013 19:31, Tim Watts wrote:
"Z-Wave" seems to be some sort of emerging standard for radio home
automation:

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/produ...urotronic.html

http://zwave-products.co.uk/shop/cat...9/Heating.html

I have not figured out all of the comboinations yet - but it's looks like
it's worth a read...

I hope these things work better together than DECT phones. I've yet to
see two DECT phones work together.

Nice to see some standardisation though. I was interested in this:

http://evohome.honeywell.com

(I have Apple stuff, so I am a sucker who is easily sold on pretty
interfaces)

No mention of Z-Wave though :S

It is not ZWave - but there will (claimed) be an API for remote something.

It does look highly polished - as Honeywell products are.

I hope they make it easy to buy - previously they had been selling in the UK
via a single distrubutor so it was actually cheaper/easier to buy direct
from Germany!

One other comment - the radio protocol used buy the HR80 family was pretty
simple and robust against missed messages, despite being simplex.

One of the faults with the Conrad FHT system is it is also simplex, throuws
out the message 3 times and has no inherent stability against missed
messages - a problem apparantly when you get much beyond 8-10 zones as the
probability of packet collision is now very high.

Whilst Honeywell will never open the radio protocol, it is likely to be
fairly well designed.