Edwin Pawlowski

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

"RKON" wrote in message
Hold on there Ed. The back cover of the same issue. It reads "The Best

Wood
Glue Ever". It goes on to say What makes Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue
the best ever? It's Waterproof, yet it cleans up with water......

In case one forgot what waterprrof means:

wa·ter·proof - Impervious to or unaffected by water.

I do not see any asterisks or footnotes on the Ad. I think they are making

bold claim and they are fair game.

On the label of the glue it reads:
Passes ANSI/HPVA Type 1 Water Resistance

I'll agree that water proof and water resistance are different according to
the dictionary. Given that though, the label gives a specification so
testing should be done in compliance with the intended use.

The following was found in a forum on
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...195230912.html

What is the difference between the ANSI/HPVA Type I and Type II
water-resistance specification?
Both of these tests are conducted using 6" by 6" birch laminates glued
together to make three-ply plywood. The test for Type I is clearly more
stringent than Type II, and involves boiling the glue bonds and testing the
specimens while they are wet.
Type I testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 1" by 3"
specimens, boiling them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a 145°F
oven for 20 hours. They are boiled for an additional 4 hours, then
immediately cooled using running water. The specimens are sheared while wet,
and the bonds must pass certain strength and wood failure requirements to
pass the Type I specification.

Type II testing involves cutting the 6" by 6" assemblies into 2" by 5"
specimens, soaking them for 4 hours, then baking the specimens in a 120°F
oven for 19 hours. This is repeated for a total of three cycles, and the
bonds must not delaminate to pass the Type II specification.

If they can't even compete then maybe
they should have it read " The Best Wood Glue Ever as long as you don't
immerse it Water" And based on the tests it doesn't appear to be the best
regardless.

Looks like a 4 hour test is OK, not a 24 hour test.

It seems to me that marketing went a bit to far and they are coming

unglued
in their claims. I wouldn't jump all over the testing performed in the
article. They have set themselves up by making the bold claims.
You don't use Titebond by chance do you?

I recently bought some for a couple of outdoor furniture projects. I used
TB II the last time and it is holding up well, so this time I tried the TB
III. I expect it will take the exposure typical of outdoor furniture, but I
have no plans to use in in anything submersed. I'd use epoxy for that. I
don't think the 24 hour test if fair to any adhesive. OK, you may want to
try it just for the fun of it, but I'd not make poor performance claims for
something not made to endure the particular test.
Ed