Old July 10th 04, 12:20 AM
Leon

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

Wood Magazine this month has a great article comparing the major brand
glues. The 6 page article tests for strength and water resistance.

In a water resistant test, glued joints were submerged in water for 24
hours. Surprisingly Titebond III scored worse than Titebond II. The TB II
joint held up to about 300 PSI. TB III failed at about 200 PSI. So I guess
you should save your money. TBIII is typically 60% more expensive than TB
II.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the TB III compared to
Polyurethanes for water resistance. Polyurethanes win. In the same test as
mentioned above, the Elmer's ProBond and Gorilla Glue Polyurethane joint
held up to almost 1000 PSI. TB III held up to 200 PSI.

I think I will send an email to Franklin and see what they have to say about
this article.

Old July 10th 04, 02:35 AM
RKON

Leon:

I read the article today while at a beautiful beach. It was an excellent
article and they were pretty methodical and consistent in their testing. I
was impressed with the performance of the Good Ole Elmers. It just shows
what marketing can do. Oh BTW, did you see what was on the back cover of the
issue? " The Best Wood Glue Ever" Ouch....

Rich
. ..

Old July 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Leon

"RKON" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Leon:

I read the article today while at a beautiful beach. It was an excellent
article and they were pretty methodical and consistent in their testing. I
was impressed with the performance of the Good Ole Elmers. It just shows
what marketing can do. Oh BTW, did you see what was on the back cover of

the
issue? " The Best Wood Glue Ever" Ouch....

Reading at the beach.... hummm kicking back are you. Well, I went to see
Simon & Garfunkle in concert Wednesday night... That was a real treat.

Anyway... Best wood Glue ever... Yeah I saw that. I do believe that
Titebond is a good glue but apparently not the best. I have been using the
Titebond and Elmer's ProBond equally for the last umpteen years. I did
indeed send an email to Franklin and it will be interesting to see if Wood
got all the results mixed up or not. Titebond III claims vastly stronger
than polyurethane on that back cover. We'll see. I guess advertising
heavily on the back cover did not buy a fovorable review this time.

Old July 10th 04, 03:26 AM
David

and I don't think much of their Titebond II Extend. I
can't get a satisfactory bond. I'm afraid to use it on a
project because it's so weak. I just glued up some table
legs yesterday with regular Titebond II. The glue bonds are
tenacious. Franklin's tech support tested a sample of the
glue from my bottle and claim it's ok. sigh.

dave

Old July 10th 04, 04:11 AM
Mike in Mystic

"David" wrote in message
om...
and I don't think much of their Titebond II Extend. I
can't get a satisfactory bond. I'm afraid to use it on a
project because it's so weak.

That's interesting. I've used the Titebond II Extend numerous times and
have had absolutely no problems with it. I also saw a little note in a
recent magazine (can't find it right off hand, but I'll look for it) that
did a similar comparison of glues (doing things like keeping glue-ups
submerged, microwaving them, etc.) and the Titebond III did very well,
comparable to polyurethane glue. I think the magazine might have been
woodworkers journal, but I'm not certain.

Mike

Old July 10th 04, 04:47 AM
David

good! I'm not crazy after all! (I'm leaving myself open
with that one. g )

dave

Leon wrote:

The TB II Extend did not do well in the test.

om...

Old July 10th 04, 05:46 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message

In a water resistant test, glued joints were submerged in water for 24
hours. Surprisingly Titebond III scored worse than Titebond II. The TB

II
joint held up to about 300 PSI. TB III failed at about 200 PSI. So I

guess
you should save your money. TBIII is typically 60% more expensive than TB
II.

After reading the article, I wondered how realistic the test is. How many
joints get submerged for 24 hours? How does the submerged joint compare to
one with possibly a finish on the pieces and subjected to some rain over a
few days? How would it be if the pieces were allowed to dry out for a
couple of days?

I don't expect it to hold up submerged, but I do want to know how well it
hold up in typical outdoor furniture uses. Sometimes magazine testing is
not at all comparable to real life situations.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome