Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11/16/2013 3:56 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Danny wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 23:19:41 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't see any provision for a strap from the dryer frame to the center
neutral connection for that particular dryer. It would be good to know
where
that white wire that is under the ground screw comes from.

I think this white wire is the 'strap':
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2869/1...a4c91eba_o.gif

can you give the make and model of the dryer so I
can look for a wiring diagram for it ? If you have the book for it, it
may
have the diagram in it for a 4 and 3 wire hookup.

It's a Whirlpool Duet Sport (from Costco); I don't have any manuals.

The manual is he
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5If...eb&hl=en&pli=1

From the manual, you seem to have it wired correctly for a 3 wire cord. The
white wire that is connected to the screw at the frame on the left side of
your picture goes to the neutral to give you 120 volt power where it is
needed. This is probably the way it comes from the factory as the diagram
says "neutral terminal linked to cabinet. The symble that looks like a 3
prong rake with the W over it is a symble for the frame of an electrical
device. The W is for a white wire.

What do you want to ruin half the thread for?
RTFM?
I agree the dryer appears to be wired right for a 3-wire connection. My
guess is the white wire that connects to the frame at the left connects
internally to the neutral, and bonds the neutral to the frame.

That wire would be reconnected to a differant place if 4 wires are used.

If you unplug your dryer there should be way less than one ohm (small
ammount due to about 5 feet of wire) to the wire going from the neutral of
the plug to the center terminal on the dryer and also to the frame of the
dryer.