Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 2:01:29 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:50:51 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:49:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:37:19 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

On Friday, November 15, 2013 7:58:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 01:25:56 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:55:24 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd pull the plug, check for continuity between

power and ground prongs of the plug. I'd also

open up the case, and look for bare, burnt,

or loose wires.

This is the 3-pronged 220 volt cord connected to this dryer:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/1...a63d0028_o.gif

I think, IIRC, two of the prongs are 120 volt hot wires, 120 degrees

out of phase (that's the 220 volts); while the third, I think, is a

neutral wire.

180 degrees, but technically, no. It's opposite sign, not 180 degrees

out of phase. ...and it should be 240V (twice 120V).

Nonsense. 180 deg out of phase and opposite sign are

the same thing. Hook up a scope and you'll see.

Wrong. I thought you were an engineer.

Then instead of just saying "wrong", why don't

you explain the difference?

You claim to be an engineer. You should know better.

So typical. Instead of writing a few sentences to
try to explain your case, you start with the insults.
That's because you have no case.

Test question:

A graph of three sine waves is given, A, B and C,

B is shifted 90 deg from A. C is shifted 180 deg

from A and looks like it's opposite.

For the simple degenerate case of a pure sign wave, they'll look the

same. That is *NOT* the general case and that is not how the words

are defined.

How is a sine wave, which of course is exactly what AC power
is, a "degenerate case"? And they don't look
the same, they have a "phase" relationship, expressed in
degrees to each other.

irrelevance snipped - though I should snip everything you write

Yes, because you refuse to look at anything that shows you're
wrong.

How those waveforms are derived, what else you call

them in a particular application, doesn't change the

fact of what they are and their relationship to each

other. There are many ways that such voltage waveforms

could be generated. It doesn't change the fact that in

a 240V residential service the two hots are in fact

180 deg out of phase realtive to each other.

Words mean things. You can use them to lie all you want but I'll call

you on it.

Is wikipedia lying too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power

A split-phase electricity distribution system is a three-wire single-phase distribution system. It is the AC equivalent of the original Edison three-wire direct current system. Its primary advantage is that it saves conductor material over a single-ended single-phase system while only requiring single phase on the supply side of the distribution transformer.[1] The two halves are 180 degrees apart with respect to center point.

Read the last sentence. They are saying exactly what I, Mark Loyd and
at least one other person have been telling you. And that is that the
two hots at the dryer are 180 deg out of phase with each other.