Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 12 volt lithium battery drill/impact driver- recommendations?

On 11/16/2013 9:40 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
woodchucker wrote:

What Leon was referring to is balancing technology. Which makes sure
each cell is in range, and not deviating from the others.
That is actually where most of the problems are, especially with low
end chargers. The better chargers will monitor each cell rather than
the pack and if one cell gets higher than the other it will deplete
it while bringing the others up. If they are too far out it shuts
down.

How do you monitor an idividual cell when they are connected in series?

I would think that would not be difficult. In my automotive days and
when you could open the cells to add water you could put a probe down
inside each cell of a 12 volt car battery and get the voltage of each
cell. It is cumulative but when you move up a cell and the voltage does
not change the cell is dead.