Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 12 volt lithium battery drill/impact driver- recommendations?

On 11/16/2013 9:29 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

I'll have to say that I have never seen a "full sized" Li-ion battery
then, although the 15.4v 3.0 amp Li-ion battery on my Festool drill
is at least double the size of the 18 v Li-ion on my Bosch impact.
Both are feather weights compares to the 12 v Makita 2.6 amp Ni Metal

Sorry Leon - perhaps a matter of terminology. My drill came with the half
sized LiON batteries. I think they were around 1.sumptin amps. I got them
upgraded for free under warranty to the 3.sumptin amp batteries. The little
ones were lighter but they sucked. The bigger ones don't seem to be that
much different from the other battery technologies. Maybe I just don't feel
it, but that's how it seems to me.

I noticed that The Festool Drill that I have now comes with a 4.2 amp
battery... ;~(. 3 amp lasts long enough and I still don't use my Makita
or Bosch impact drives any more. A dew weeks ago I was driving 5/16"x4"
lag screws with my Festool drill, In the non clutch setting and in the
high speed setting I had to grab the battery with my left hand to keep
the drill from twisting my right hand off when the screw fully seated in
the stud. Yes I did predrill but only 3" deep and part of that was
sheet rock. I still find it amazing that I have not yet stalled the
drill except when the electronic clutch is engaged.