Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 4:28:26 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/16/2013 12:50 PM, wrote:

[snip]

How those waveforms are derived, what else you call

them in a particular application, doesn't change the

fact of what they are and their relationship to each

other. There are many ways that such voltage waveforms

could be generated. It doesn't change the fact that in

a 240V residential service the two hots are in fact

180 deg out of phase realtive to each other.

I think the people who are denying that it (residential 120/240) is

2-phase are considering the (1-phase) connection to the transformer

primary. You still have 2 phases inside.

I agree. They are hung up on the fact that in an electrical
power distribution system, it isn't referred to as two phase.
But it is called "split phase", and when you split something,
well it seems you wind up with more than just one.

I would not call the electrical service two phase, as I
think someone here might have, but in
fact you do have two AC waveforms present that are 180 deg
out of phase with each other.

You could make the more general case of a "box"
that you put a sine wave into and get various sine waves
out of. They can each be described in terms of their
frequency, amplitude, and phase relationships to the
original and each other. You could have one, two, three,
10 different phases, all derived from one input.
Are they going to say that if one of them is 180 deg
out of phase with the input, that it's not correct to
say that? You can only call it the "opposite"?
Good grief!

You could be using 2 120V transformers (primaries in parallel,

secondaries in series with ground between then), a generator with a

2-phase (180 deg apart) output, or even 2 120V (synchronized)

generators. You still have 2 phases.

--

39 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00

AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd

http://notstupid.us

"It is the creationists who blasphemously are claiming that God is

cheating us in a stupid way." [J. W. Nienhuys]