Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/16/2013 11:09 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:54:39 -0700, Tony Hwang

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 01:17:23 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-15-2013, 19:58,
wrote:
180 degrees, but technically, no. It's opposite sign, not 180
degrees
out of phase.

Same thing

No, it's not. It's one phase.

Hi,
It's called bi-phase. aka Edison circuit.

Wrong. It's called "split-phase". ...because that's *exactly* what
it is.

"phase" has a meaning. There's still 2 of them. "split-phase" sounds
right too.

Two-phase is something entirely different (and quite rare).

I think I've heard about that. Are the phases 90 degrees apart?

The fact that there is this different 2 phase system doesn't prevent the
usual one from being 2 phase. That's be like saying you don't have 2
colors of holiday lights if they're just red and green.

Hmmm,
Let's refresh trigonometry from HS, draw the AC wave form on a piece of
paper(one full sine wave, 1 Hertz), what phase means or related term
leading or lagging by such and such degrees. L1 leg represent top half
of sine wave and L2 bottom half.
So how many degrees apart between L1 and L2? For convenience we can say
that L1 is positive half and L2 is negative half or vice versa..