joey

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

oops cut and pasted failed previous post read down in that one
"joey" wrote in message
Ok the way I might have tried the test was test a pair of borad TII and T3
same glu up etc then test the bonding strenth say TB2 was 400 PSI and TB3
200 PSI. Then do the magazines test on anohter pair of boards if TB2 was
300PSI and TB3 was 200 PSI. A few more tests could show TB2 at 100 PSI and
TB3 still at 200PSI
"Leon" wrote in message

"joey" wrote in message

Actually it might matter, true it failed this test but.. The test

sounds
like a 1 time shock test and not repeated cycles of getting damp and

drying
out over and over.. that would normally be the case outside over time.

One
glue could very well maintain its strength or atleast deteriorate at a
lesser rate and another glue wouldn't. Sorta like a sprinter vs a

marathon
runner.

No glue really failed the test, so much as TB III was out performed by

TB
II
and TB III is suppose to be warer proof and TB II is not.
I thought about different senerios, but this was IMHO a worst case

situation
for testing water resistance. The TB II certainly would do just as well

on
a lessor test.

You might very well be right andI need to get the article they may have
taken into account what I would have done
I might have tried the test this way ...test a pair of boards TII and T3
same glue up etc then test the bonding strength to establish a baseline...
say the results were TB2 was 400 PSI and TB3 200 PSI. Then do the

magazines
test on another pair of boards cut from the same glue up and the results
were as you stated from their article TB2 was 300PSI and TB3 was still at
200 PSI. Repeat tests on these same boards could show TB2 at 100 PSI and
TB3 still at 200PSI etc..

Materials in my line of work are tested by repeated exposure to
hot/cold/humidity cycles

The TB II should do even better in a test like that as it is labeled

Weather
Resistent.

Why?

I haven't read the article I will get it I just glued up some outdoor

bar
stools with TBIII and am curious. I choose it over GG because GG would

be
hard to clean up in some of the tight areas, I did use GG for gluing

up
the
seat blanks

TB III did so poorly compared to TB II in the area that it should have
shined. I really have suspicions that the article got the spec's on the
glues mixed up.

BTW I made a pair of these same stools about 12 years ago with (TB or

TB2?)
and only recently did the seat glue ups and MT joints fail(So California

so
not much rain etc..)