Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:48:29 -0800, wrote:

The neutral carries current.

Yup. The neutral carries current, a ground isn't supposed to carry
current (unless something goes wrong).

That's why it threw me when I realized this neutral is connected
to the case of the dryer.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/1...f1549d6d_o.gif

So, I do see that the ground and the neutral are muddled here,
in that the neutral is also the ground for the dryer frame.

So, I guess, a neutral can also function as a ground; but I
wouldn't want to see a ground functioning also as a neutral.

NOTE: I sure *hope* the ground wires and neutral wires are attached
to *different* points (both at zero potential) at the circuit panel.

I had always thought the ground goes into the ground at the house;
but that the neutral goes into the ground at the pole (and not
necessarily the first pole from the house but not more than 2 or
3 poles after the house).

Is any of that correct? Or am I wrong (again)?