Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:49:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 09:37:19 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:

On Friday, November 15, 2013 7:58:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 01:25:56 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico

wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:55:24 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I'd pull the plug, check for continuity between

power and ground prongs of the plug. I'd also

open up the case, and look for bare, burnt,

or loose wires.

This is the 3-pronged 220 volt cord connected to this dryer:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/1...a63d0028_o.gif

I think, IIRC, two of the prongs are 120 volt hot wires, 120 degrees

out of phase (that's the 220 volts); while the third, I think, is a

neutral wire.

180 degrees, but technically, no. It's opposite sign, not 180 degrees

out of phase. ...and it should be 240V (twice 120V).

Nonsense. 180 deg out of phase and opposite sign are

the same thing. Hook up a scope and you'll see.

Wrong. I thought you were an engineer.

Then instead of just saying "wrong", why don't
you explain the difference?

Test question:

A graph of three sine waves is given, A, B and C,
B is shifted 90 deg from A. C is shifted 180 deg
from A and looks like it's opposite.

Question:

1 - What is the phase realtionshiof B to A?

2 - What is the phase realtionship of C to A?

My answer to 1 is B is 90 deg out of phase relative
to A.

My answer to 2 is C is 180 deg out of phase relative
to A. To a lay person, it could also be called it's
"opposite".

How those waveforms are derived, what else you call
them in a particular application, doesn't change the
fact of what they are and their relationship to each
other. There are many ways that such voltage waveforms
could be generated. It doesn't change the fact that in
a 240V residential service the two hots are in fact
180 deg out of phase realtive to each other.