Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:35:17 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 06:31:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 11/15/2013 7:58 PM,
wrote:

So, there is no ground that I know of, if I understood this correctly.
That's why I asked if you guys ADD a ground wire in this situation?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3753/1...473a60a8_o.gif

The ground is a must, for safety. At one time, it was allowed to run
the timer current though ground. A neutral conductor is now required
for that current.

I've been trying to figure if the cold wire of a
three wire dryer is a neutral or ground. I'd thought
it was a ground, but some folks on the list and
on the web thought it's a neutral.

It *is* a ground. It's connected to the case of the appliance. Would
you connect a neutral to the case?

It's also connected to the ground bus inside the box, not the neutral
bus. Uninsulated, too.