Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 12 volt lithium battery drill/impact driver- recommendations?

On 11/15/2013 7:26 PM, patrick wrote:
As to lithium batteries yay or nay. ...

I'm still holding off...heard too many firsthand stories of chargers
overheating to be comfortable having one in the house or barn lest I
forget to unplug it.

Most recent story of just a couple of months ago--JD dealer here has
started carrying Milwaukee, Makita, and another one or two in new
dealership showroom besides the Green-branded stuff (the maker of whom
for them I'm not positive--need to ask Russ about that). Anyway was
looking for the LED lantern attachment to go on the existing Milwaukee
NiMH packs I have for winter backup power-outage lighting relief and
didn't have any for them, only the Li. So that naturally go to the
discussion of same and he mentioned he'd had three packs overheat and
nearly start fires on different tools/manufacturers and they had also
had trouble with some in the shop. So his take was "don't leave them
unattended" -- mine is "not taking a chance" at least yet.

I don't know what the difference really is but there does seem to be a
fundamental behavior in that they have a much higher probability of
thermal runaway occurring.

$0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...