Mike in Mystic

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

Hi David,

I did a very rudimentary test the first time I used it. I face glued a
piece of ash about 3/4" thick and maybe 2 inches wide to a wider piece of
ash. I used about 8 inches of length and had about 4 inches extending past
one edge. I did the same thing for an edge joint, still 3/4" thick and
probably 6 inches of length and about 4 inches extending past one edge.

I let the joints cure overnight and the next day (approx. 24 hours later,
really) I tried to pull the joints apart. I really put a lot of force into
it and all I ended up doing was breaking the 3/4" edge joint piece, but the
glue joint didn't fail. I was sufficiently confident after that in the
Titebond II extend's ability to form strong glue joints.

I've used it on several projects, including gluing the edging around my
son's high chair tray. That thing get's more abuse than I ever imagined,
and more often than not is cleaned by taking a dripping wet soapy sponge and
scrubbing it. This happens 2-3 times a day and has been going on for about
3 months now. There isn't any sign of failure. I also used this glue to
face glue layers of MDF for my workbench, and several other projects where I
needed more time to get things aligned before clamping.

What was your experience that made you so worried about using it? I still
have about a gallon of it and would like to know if I've been making a poor
choice by using it.

Thanks!

"David" wrote in message
news
did you do any destructive tests on any joints glued up with
the Extend?

Mike in Mystic wrote:

"David" wrote in message
om...

and I don't think much of their Titebond II Extend. I
can't get a satisfactory bond. I'm afraid to use it on a
project because it's so weak.

That's interesting. I've used the Titebond II Extend numerous times and
have had absolutely no problems with it. I also saw a little note in a
recent magazine (can't find it right off hand, but I'll look for it)

that
did a similar comparison of glues (doing things like keeping glue-ups
submerged, microwaving them, etc.) and the Titebond III did very well,
comparable to polyurethane glue. I think the magazine might have been
woodworkers journal, but I'm not certain.

Mike