Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Type of wood?

dadiOH wrote:
Now, I just use my drum sander Handiest machine I own. But I often
don't use it until AFTER I glue up a wider panel; not for thickness at
least, I always use it enough so I can see the grain/color of the wood
which often isn't enough to get it truly flat.

I noticed that Swingman appears to use a scraper for that. But he
probably joints the wood first (or equivalently, buys it freshly
jointed). I suspect that if one is going to build "inset" cabinet doors
(like I was "dared" to try : )), then his or her stock better be
"well-dimensioned". I have no argument that a drum sander would be
handy. That is a clever use for it you found for it--of using it to
help see the wood grain.