Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are Kobalt tools any good?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:36:04 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/11/2013 4:28 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:20:30 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:
mike wrote:
Lowes has a sale on Kobalt tools.
For $6 you can get a screwdriver kit that
has torx bits down to size 4. And they're smaller shank,
so the bit holder has smaller diameter and will fit down
the deep hole in the plastic of some devices to access the
screw head.
No brainer...except.
Are they any good.
The bits are shiny silver. My experience has been that the
shiny silver bits are much softer than the dull black ones.

They're guaranteed for life, but that's no help if you've
just stripped the head of that #4 Torx screw holding together
the $300 gizmo you're trying to repair.

So, is there any correlation between shiny silver surface and
softness for screwdriver bits? In the store, how do you tell
what's tough and what's not?

They don't know how to spell "cobalt".

That should tell you something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobalt_(tools)

"Kobalt is a line of tools owned by the American home improvement
chain Lowe's as their house brand for both Lowe's in North America and
their joint venture Masters Home Improvement in Australia.

Lowe's and manufacturing partner J.H. Williams launched Kobalt in
1998,[1] with the intention of competing against rival retailers Sears
and The Home Depot and their respective Craftsman and Husky tool
brands.[2] Since 2003, Kobalt hand tools have largely been made by the
Danaher Corporation.[3][4] Previously made in the USA, initially by
Snap-on's JH Williams brand, Kobalt sockets and wrenches are now made
in Taiwan, while pliers and other tools are made in China."

So the early ones were made by a good company...now they are made in
Taiwan and China.

I wonder if he wanted to learn that?

Why would you wonder? Would the answer have impeded your missive?

Which missive would that be? Whirled Peas? Kill the Leftwingers? Some
tools are suspect or utter crap?

Probably not.

Ok,so you answered your question. Failed to impede your missive.

Why would you put words in my mouth anyway?

Because you act and talk like a snot nosed little boy.
Now stamp your widdle feet, put a finger in each ear and dance in
circles screaming at the top of your lungs.".Im wight! Im Wight"
We need a little amusement around here these days. Usually its
politics and machining...having a mouthy little **** spewing
buffoonery about tools is a change of pace.

Of all the bluff and bluster in this thread, there was exactly
ONE person who related ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with the EXACT tool I was
considering. Case closed. Not bought! Thanks.
Did I mention, CASE CLOSED?

Only in your dreams.

I have at least 4 sets of miniature Torx drivers. The only one that
is still complete is the Wiha. The only ones I find in quality
assembly shops are Wiha, SnapOn and others of the same specs.

I occasionally find Kobalt, Harbor Freight, Kmart and other brands of
similar drivers n the machine shops and factories that I service.

But ..and its a big but...they wont be in complete sets because they
have busted/stripped/ruined all the small ones...and a surprising
number of the big ones too. Ive found a fair number of them with vise
grip marks on the shanks. Which is why I carry Torx drivers that are
used with a 1/4" ratchet or a 3/8" ratchet..and are of a very high
quality nature. If I screw up either the socket or the part at 10:30
at night...the job stops right then or there until the following day
when I have stores open that might..might have a replacement part.

As a side note......What do you think they put carbide inserts into
tool holders with? A staple gun?

Since you're the fount of all knowledge...
Riddle me this...
Is there any reason that Taiwan and China can't make quality stuff?
They get painted with the broad crap brush.
I understand that we get crap because we're only willing to pay for crap.
BUT,
is there any fundamental technical reason that people in one particular
country
can't/won't/don't make any quality stuff? Ever?

Oh the Taiwanese and the Chinks make very very good stuff and it
appears in machine shops all over America along with showing up in the
US Army and so on and so forth. They can make high quality gear of
all types. I buy a LOT of Chink stuff. Some of which costs $100,000
or more per each.

That being said... you are not likely to find it at Home Despot on
sale for $6 for 10 pieces.

I can order high quality Chicom made stuff and do..each and every day.
I just dont find it at discount stores.

Which is why I gently mentioned Wiha and said it was
"good **** Maynard". And I mentioned that a single T4 driver was
gonna cost you $4-8 or similar. And there will be no question about
chrome or no chrome. Its quite good no matter what its been coated
with. Black oxide or Chrome....shrug.

You keep asking in effect..whats better for the important business you
have to perform.......a Yugo thats chrome plated or one thats been
painted. Its STILL A ****ING YUGO!!!

Wiha....good tools.

Yeah, but unrelated to the question about Kobalt.

You wanted tools that wouldnt break/deform/flatten/chip/peel or come
un****ed in your use. I answered

Its very related. You arent much of a thinker there are you fellah?

If you want to perform a task that requires good tools..you dont run
down to the cheap tool store and look for whats on sale..and then ****
and moan about chrome plated versus non chrome plated. You buy the
Good Tools from the start and then put it out of your mind..because
you have Good Tools and dont have to worry about them anymore.

I have a ****load of cheap tools. Lots of them from Harbor Freight
too. And they tend to hold up fine..when there is some meat in them.
A T4 torx driver is ****ing small and given the difficulty that many
import companies have with making small tools that will hold up under
loaded use...its a given that a thinking man would buy tools that have
a long history of holding up under intended uses and not **** around
with unknown quality ****. Particularly when its tiny and you have
(1) chance of getting that screw/bolt out and you cant drill the
****er out..you cant grab it with vise-grips and you cant grind off
the head.

Now smart mouth..was there any further questions? If all you are going
to do is continue to thump your chest and act offended when real
people who work professionally with tools EVERY ****ING DAY and have
done so professionally for 4 decades or more tell you that you are
buying a pig in a poke..and a muddy pig at that when you buy delicate
tools from Kolbalt from HomeDespot...thats quite up to you. Your
choice. Take the advice or leave it. Its not a hair on any of our
asses or my ass if you do or dont...or if you utterly ****up the job
you are buying taffy screwdrivers for.

Shrug

Gunner

--
Liberals want everyone to think like them.
Conservatives want everyone to think.

---