Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermal fuses in appliances

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:35:26 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They mostly look like a small cylindrical component, metal case with
one lead connected to it, and opposite end is plastic insulator,
beveled, with the opposide lead going into it. The metal case is live,
so they're sometimes in a PTFE sleeve, but I doubt they would be in a
tumble drier where the are live elements anyway and quick response is
required.

The washer/condensing drier we had had the above as last ditch
protection if the self reseting sort bolted to the heating element
housing failed closed or just the interior of the machine got to hot.
Ours tripped FSVO "just in time" as the caked on acummulated fluff
around the heating elements was just starting to char...

The connection is usually crimped or reveted or spot welded,
as soldering them is likely to trip them!

Yep...

--
Cheers
Dave.