Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thermal fuses in appliances

In article ,
Cursitor Doom writes:
Hi all,

Well, I got my tumble dryer working again by just cleaning the nylon
gears in the tumble/reverse timer with solvent; the grease on them had
congealed and hardened and forced them out of mesh (they don't run in
proper bearings).
So fine in that regard. However, as some people warned me, the power to
the heating elements is no longer there so it looks like one or more
thermal cut-outs have tripped (presumably when the drum stopped turning
owing to the earlier problem).
So.... where can I find these cut-outs and what do they look like?

They mostly look like a small cylindrical component, metal case with
one lead connected to it, and opposite end is plastic insulator, beveled,
with the opposide lead going into it. The metal case is live, so they're
sometimes in a PTFE sleeve, but I doubt they would be in a tumble drier
where the are live elements anyway and quick response is required.

http://cpc.farnell.com/thermal

When you find it, try reading the temperature value off it before
doing anything which might rub the markins off.

The connection is usually crimped or reveted or spot welded,
as soldering them is likely to trip them!

--
Andrew Gabriel