Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Type of wood?

woodchucker wrote:
On 11/6/2013 7:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Related topic:

I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an "extra
property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of cherry boards
he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He brought me a small
sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since it would need so
much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so, might be a fair
price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer and I'm pretty sure
he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the consensus thinks would be
a fair offer.

Bill

Bill, most cherry is selling for anywhere from 3.35 to 4.50 a bd ft
for 4/4 depending on locale.

Figured higher.

if his wood has been well stored and covered , stickered you can
expect to pay around that. If on the other hand it was already
surfaced, I devalue that, since I can't fix it without going thinner.

If it has been stored uncovered and exposed to sunlight, that would
devalue it as it is probably not evenly darkened.

If it is all twisted and looks like a pretzel it can be good fire wood.

It depends on it's shape is what I am saying. If it has bugs,
consider where you are going to store it ,and if you can aford to
spray it with insecticides with your allergies. Do understand spraying
is only getting at the surface to really do damage to the critters you
have to spray down the tunnels, and let it run. Unless they are bark
borers..

Jeff, Thank you! You raised some really good points that didn't even
occur to me. He told me that someone gave the wood to him quite a long
while back. If it needs to be treated with insecticides then I will
walk away (thanks for bring up the allergy point). Also, I don't want
extra wood-eaters near my house! I just tossed out a "shop worm"--I'm
not sure how it got it (it's raining outside)! You provided me with
some good questions to ask or think about (before making the 30 mile
trip)! BTW, I got my price estimate by observing that some mills were
selling cherry for as little as $2/bd-ft. Like you said, location,
location, location!

Bill