Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Type of wood?

On 11/6/2013 7:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Related topic:

I know someone who is no longer into woodworking that selling an "extra
property" and needs get rid of a "pretty large stack" of cherry boards
he has long had there. I have not seen the stack. He brought me a small
sample--about 1" thick and not quartersawn. Since it would need so
much work, I was thinking that $1.50/bd-ft., or so, might be a fair
price. He'll probably think that's a low-ball offer and I'm pretty sure
he won't cheat himself. Just curious what the consensus thinks would be
a fair offer.

Bill

Bill, most cherry is selling for anywhere from 3.35 to 4.50 a bd ft for
4/4 depending on locale.

Figured higher.

if his wood has been well stored and covered , stickered you can expect
to pay around that. If on the other hand it was already surfaced, I
devalue that, since I can't fix it without going thinner.

If it has been stored uncovered and exposed to sunlight, that would
devalue it as it is probably not evenly darkened.

If it is all twisted and looks like a pretzel it can be good fire wood.

It depends on it's shape is what I am saying. If it has bugs, consider
where you are going to store it ,and if you can aford to spray it with
insecticides with your allergies. Do understand spraying is only getting
at the surface to really do damage to the critters you have to spray
down the tunnels, and let it run. Unless they are bark borers..

--
Jeff